Re: Help wanted - getting started writing an interpretter

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
26 Sep 2001 00:46:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help wanted - getting started writing an interpretter dont@send.me.spam (SynapZ) (2001-09-21)
Re: Help wanted - getting started writing an interpretter monnier+comp.compilers/news/@RUM.cs.yale.edu (Stefan Monnier) (2001-09-25)
Re: Help wanted - getting started writing an interpretter joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-09-25)
Re: Help wanted - getting started writing an interpretter anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2001-09-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Sep 2001 00:46:30 -0400
Posted-Date: 26 Sep 2001 00:46:30 EDT

  "Joachim Durchholz" <joachim_d@gmx.de> writes:
>You still have to write semantic actions on yacc, I don't think any tool
>will help you with that.

There are a number of attribute grammar and parse tree processor
generator tools. Most of them come with their own scanner and parser
generator, but Ox works with lex and yacc, and we use it in our
compiler course. Unfortunately, it is no longer supported by the
author, and its license prevents maintainence by other people (that's
in line with lex/yacc, but unfortunately there is no flex/bison
variant of ox).

>However, the following might help you with writing the bytecode
>interpreter:
>http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/vmgen/
>Vmgen will take C code and a bit of metainformation for each
>instruction, and generate a VM for you. (At least that's what I
>understood from the docs, I haven't used it yet.)

Currently vmgen supports only threaded code (i.e., each virtual
machine opcode takes a machine word, not a byte). So if you want to
use bytecode for size reasons, vmgen needs some changes. Contact me
if you are interested and prepared to serve as testbed for these
changes.

- anton