Re: Looking for disassembler, decompiler, discompiler or

Mikael Lyngvig <mikael@lyngvig.dk>
11 Sep 2001 23:17:00 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Looking for disassembler, decompiler, discompiler or mikael@lyngvig.dk (Mikael Lyngvig) (2001-09-11)
Re: Looking for disassembler, decompiler, discompiler or timur@lantel.ru (Timur Safin) (2001-09-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Mikael Lyngvig <mikael@lyngvig.dk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Sep 2001 23:17:00 -0400
Posted-Date: 11 Sep 2001 23:17:00 EDT

>The only exception was a tool on Atari ST called "Easy Rider" [...]
>
>Using this tool it was possible to create a fully labeled source code
>by doing very simple things like:
>
>This tool was a real hacker-dream, but I never find anything close
>to this in the unix/windows world :'(

Actually, there's a very, very good disassembler for DOS, Windows, and
OS/2, which is called Sourcer. It is available from V Communications
(http://www.v-com.com/product/devsopr.html). It sounds pretty much
like "Easy Rider", except Sourcer can be run either interactively or
non-interactively. You can create a configuration file, plain ASCII
text file, and in that insert various commands, such as what type a
range of memory addresses is, names of labels and procedures, and so
on. Using Sourcer, and a bit of time, you can eventually create a
full, human-readable disassembly (which can be assembled to produce
the input) of whatever you fancy. I did it once with a device driver
I needed to patch up for special needs; in the end I had the full
source commented and everything as if I'd written it myself, and could
easily make the changes I needed to make.

-- Mikael