Program Partitioning for embedded systems.

Bageshri Sathe <bageshri@cse.iitb.ac.in>
25 Aug 2001 13:29:17 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Program Partitioning for embedded systems. bageshri@cse.iitb.ac.in (Bageshri Sathe) (2001-08-25)
Re: Program Partitioning for embedded systems. welter@ismi.net (Mark Welter) (2001-08-26)
Re: Program Partitioning for embedded systems. challa@acc.am.ericsson.se (Madhusudan Challa) (2001-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Bageshri Sathe <bageshri@cse.iitb.ac.in>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Aug 2001 13:29:17 -0400
Posted-Date: 25 Aug 2001 13:29:17 EDT

Hi,

I am working on a problem of partitioning the executable code for a
limited memory embedded system (non-parallel) which has neither an OS
nor any paging hardware. There are separate memories for code and
data. A large function may not fit in the code memory, so overlays
cannot be used.

We are trying to partition the executable code in order to achieve
following:

(1) Each partition should fit in the available memory.

(2) Number of DMA calls (which are required to load new code in the
memory) are minimized. (Eg. avoiding partition boundaries to fall
within a loop if the loop entirely fits in the memory.)

(3) Number of data loads (corresponding to code loads) are minimized.

I would like to find out if any research has been done or is being
done on this. If any one knows about work done in this direction,
please give me some pointers.

Regards,
Bageshri.
[I told him that the usual way to solve this problem is to rewrite the
code into functions small enough to overlay, and then overlay them,
but he'd like something more automated. Sounds like a difficult and
interesting problem. -John]