Re: ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations)

jones <little.jones.family@ntlworld.com>
25 Aug 2001 13:27:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations) little.jones.family@ntlworld.com (jones) (2001-08-18)
Re: ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations) akhuang@earthlink.net (Lin Ke-Fong) (2001-08-20)
Re: ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations) torbenm@diku.dk (2001-08-24)
Re: ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations) little.jones.family@ntlworld.com (jones) (2001-08-25)
Re: ARM compiler/assembler written in java (any book recomendations) tfjellstrom@home.com (Thomas Fjellstrom) (2001-09-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jones <little.jones.family@ntlworld.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Aug 2001 13:27:14 -0400
Posted-Date: 25 Aug 2001 13:27:14 EDT

dear all

Thank You For Your Responses !

Please If You Have Anything To Add Please Do So

While I have found lots of resources for generating essentially text->text I
have found little examples of actually producing a executable i.e. assembler
and linker producing a text->binary-elf/coff

I would like to write one of these but the resources I have found so far
seem very much geared toward high level languages without the one to one
relationship and do not deal with executable format at all

The Lack Of Something To Get Going Fast And Produce Results In A Predictable
Way Is Astounding

All the projects that I have looked at so far seem to use custom parsers and
perform different optimizations and generally are horribly commented and
described.

The only exception being gas and that seems a bit overkill in terms of
features. So far I am starting to fight the documentation(which is unusual
in actually having some).

have you all implemented an assembler in different ways ?

has anyone got any resources they could point me to ?
(and help me out of this dejecting hole of documentation)

regards

john jones

p.s. thanks again for the help