Scripting language

"Ken Egervari" <ken@positive-edge.com>
15 Aug 2001 01:46:01 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Scripting language ken@positive-edge.com (Ken Egervari) (2001-08-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Ken Egervari" <ken@positive-edge.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Aug 2001 01:46:01 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Aug 2001 01:46:01 EDT

I want to write a new web scripting language but I'm unsure as to what
to use to do it.

I mean, I could write the entire thing in classic C, make it fast and
spend over a year doing it with my friend nonstop, or I could use
something like C++ even though there will be some more overhead. Now,
no matter what language I use, are lex and yacc only resonable
solutions when implementing small languages or languages that don't
need super high performance? Or are they quite adequate for writing
performance-intensive, complex OO languages.

If Lex and Yacc are to be used, I think I can figure the rest out :)

If not, are there any tools to simplify the process are it's basically
implementing the lexical analyser, parsers, code generators, etc. from
scratch?

Since I don't have the experience with writing large compilers, I'm
not sure what to do. I've wrote some small compilers and I'm more
heavily into programming OO stuff rather than procedural code, but
I've done so back in the earlier years of my programming life.

Thanks for the advice in advance. Hope to hear from you soon!

Ken (ken@positive-edge.com)
[I'd start by reading the source code to implementations of languages
like tcl and python, then see if you can persuade yourself that your
new language will be better than tcl and python, then stop. -John]