Re: compiler, linker and libraries

"Lionel Brits" <britsc@cadvision.com>
28 Jun 2001 23:46:34 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler, linker and libraries te-cheng_shen@agilent.com (TC Shen) (2001-06-21)
Re: compiler, linker and libraries britsc@cadvision.com (Lionel Brits) (2001-06-28)
Re: compiler, linker and libraries lockner@chaos.cns.uni.edu (Matthew J. Lockner) (2001-07-01)
Re: compiler, linker and libraries marcov@toad.stack.nl (2001-07-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Lionel Brits" <britsc@cadvision.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Jun 2001 23:46:34 -0400
Posted-Date: 28 Jun 2001 23:46:34 EDT

Hi,

Experience with software development tools will probably give you a better
understanding, but here goes (no link)

A compiler takes source code and translates it into an object file
comprising machine instructions.
A linker takes one or more object files and relocates code into a machine
exacutable file that is ready to be executed.

A library is just a collection of object files stored in a single file that
can be used by more than one program (the idea of reusable code).
Libraries can be statically linked by the linker, so that only the parts
that are needed are included in the executable file, or they can be
dynamically linked when the executable is run, such as .DLL files in the
windows architecture.

HTH,

- Lionel Brits