Writing a C compiler in Java/Jython

adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org (Arun Sharma)
7 Jun 2001 17:14:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing a C compiler in Java/Jython adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org (2001-06-07)
Re: Writing a C compiler in Java/Jython torbenm@diku.dk (2001-06-08)
Re: Writing a C compiler in Java/Jython korek@icm.edu.pl (2001-06-10)
Re: Writing a C compiler in Java/Jython walter@nospamm-digitalmars.com (walter) (2001-06-10)
Re: Writing a C compiler in Java/Jython mcc@watson.ibm.com (2001-06-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org (Arun Sharma)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Jun 2001 17:14:05 -0400
Posted-Date: 07 Jun 2001 17:14:05 EDT

All,

I wanted some opinions from people who might have attempted this in
the past: Writing a C compiler in Java. Also, would using a scripting
language like python (specifically the jython implementation of the
language) have any advantages in writing optimization algorithms ?

While I'm waiting to get a copy of Steven Muchnick's book, are there
any other good resources on the net about the choice of an intermediate
language (low, medium, high) ? Specifically, about the suitability
of an intermediate language for a particular optimization algorithm ?
(Yes, I got a B in my compiler course serveral years ago, because I
disagreed on the choice of intermediate language (too low level) for
certain optimizations and used my own, apart from screwing up on the
written exam that is ;)

I'm primarily interested in working on RISC and EPIC back ends.

-Arun