Re: A NEW parser generator! - Please Read!

Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (Martin Ward)
29 May 2001 23:19:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A NEW parser generator! - Please Read! DevinCook@hotmail.com (2001-05-22)
Re: A NEW parser generator! - Please Read! Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (2001-05-29)
Re: A NEW parser generator! - Please Read! devincook@hotmail.com (Devin Cook) (2001-05-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (Martin Ward)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 May 2001 23:19:16 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 May 2001 23:19:16 EDT

> As the application stands now, it can take a description of a
> grammar and produce the DFA and LALR state tables. This information
> is then saved to a binary file and this file can be later read and
> used by the actual parse engine.

My only suggestion is: don't generate binary intermediate files,
generate human readable text files instead (read Bently's "Programming
Pearls" and "More Programming Pearls" for why).

Provide a perl module to parse these tables into perl structures
and generate xvcg/dotty or whatever graph files from them.

I think this could be quite useful for "visualising" grammars.

Martin

Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/ Erdos number: 4