partial parsing

"Sonali Chitnis" <Sonali@SetuIndia.com>
26 Apr 2001 21:11:57 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
partial parsing Sonali@SetuIndia.com (Sonali Chitnis) (2001-04-26)
Re: partial parsing daw@mozart.cs.berkeley.edu (2001-04-30)
Re: partial parsing rkrayhawk@aol.com (2001-05-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Sonali Chitnis" <Sonali@SetuIndia.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Apr 2001 21:11:57 -0400

I am working on an editor whose files adhere to a specific grammar.
My requirement is the Editor should also be able to parse the file
when the file is yet being created and not only after the file is
written compeletly.It should be able to parse it on a block basis. I
think this is similar to the partial parsing.

I am not getting a clue about how this can be done. One solution I
thought about was to make every block in my grammar as a start state
in the lex file so the order of apperance of that block in the file
does not matter and parsing can continue. but this is not helping me
go ahead. I will be very thankful If anyone can give some hints about
how to go in this direction.

Thanks a lot in advance
Sonali