Requirements for Just-in-time Compilation

jason petrone <jp@demonseed.net>
22 Apr 2001 23:51:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Requirements for Just-in-time Compilation jp@demonseed.net (jason petrone) (2001-04-22)
Re: Requirements for Just-in-time Compilation at150bogomips@aol.com (2001-04-26)
Re: Requirements for Just-in-time Compilation ralph@inputplus.demon.co.uk (2001-04-26)
Re: Requirements for Just-in-time Compilation vbdis@aol.com (2001-04-26)
Re: Requirements for Just-in-time Compilation jp@demonseed.net (jason petrone) (2001-04-29)
Re: Requirements for Just-in-time Compilation Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca (2001-04-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jason petrone <jp@demonseed.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Apr 2001 23:51:36 -0400
Posted-Date: 22 Apr 2001 23:51:36 EDT

How difficult is it to write a just-in-time compiler in comparison to
a normal compiler?

Since speed of compilation is an issue, should the compiler also do
machine code generation?

Also, is making such a compiler retargetable a lofty goal? It seems
to me that supporting multiple architectures would require making
extra passes, and would slow things down.

I've been reading papers and source code, but I still feel that I am
lacking a clear understanding of the real issues involved in writing
such a compiler.

thanks
-jason
[So long as you have a reasonable way to link the generated code into
the running system, I wouldn't think it'd be much harder. Multiple
architectures shouldn't be a big issue, since any particular version of
your JIT compiler needs only to generate code for the architecture it's
running on. -John]