Re: C as assembly language

Jim Granville <jim.granville@designtools.co.nz>
18 Apr 2001 02:25:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: C as assembly language fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2001-04-12)
Re: C as assembly language vbdis@aol.com (2001-04-12)
Re: C as assembly language felixundduni@freenet.de (felix) (2001-04-14)
Re: C as assembly language fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2001-04-14)
Re: C as assembly language rhyde@transdimension.com (Randall Hyde) (2001-04-14)
Re: C as assembly language vbdis@aol.com (2001-04-15)
Re: C as assembly language jim.granville@designtools.co.nz (Jim Granville) (2001-04-18)
Re: C as assembly language joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-05-03)
Re: C as assembly language joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-05-07)
Re: C as assembly language Hans_Boehm@hp.com (Hans Boehm) (2001-05-07)
Re: C as assembly language jthorn@galileo.thp.univie.ac.at (2001-05-13)
Re: C as assembly language david.thompson1@worldnet.att.net (David Thompson) (2001-05-15)
Re: C as assembly language thp@cs.ucr.edu (2002-03-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jim Granville <jim.granville@designtools.co.nz>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Apr 2001 02:25:40 -0400
Posted-Date: 18 Apr 2001 02:25:40 EDT

VBDis wrote:

> Im Artikel 01-04-093, "Randall Hyde"
> <rhyde@transdimension.com> schreibt:
>
> >Guess it depends upon how you define "real" assembler.
>
> Right, I only had one point in mind, and forgot about all the other things,
> which an assembler is assumed to do :-(
>
> What I had in mind was, that an assembler is not normally allowed to insert
> instructions, modify the sequence of instructions, or the instructions
> themselves. At least this was the point of some hard core assembly programmers,
> which thought to know better how to write efficient code, and possibly also
> wrote self modifying code.

  Yes, but does it HAVE to be this way ?

> In short, when someone says "do it exactly this way", then an assembler should
> do it that way. In all other cases the assembler can provide optimizations and
> address calculations, macros and other handy stuff.

  We work a lot with PLD tools/compilers, and one attribute they have,
is control over KEEP / Collapse of logic nodes ( ie downstream LOGIC
minimise / optimise )
  Sometimes in PLD code you want to say "don't fiddle with this at all!"

  A similar option in Assemblers could benefit (all?) Assemblers, and
allow work on lower level optimise engines, as other threads have
discussed.

  - jg