announcement: new release of Mercury (0.10.1)

fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson)
10 Apr 2001 01:30:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
announcement: new release of Mercury (0.10.1) fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (2001-04-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Fergus Henderson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Apr 2001 01:30:37 -0400
Posted-Date: 10 Apr 2001 01:30:37 EDT

We are pleased to announce the release of version 0.10.1 of the Mercury system.

For full details about what's new in this release, see
<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/mercury/download/release-0.10.html>.
But here's a brief summary of the new features of most relevance
to comp.compilers:

* We've implemented a new back-end for the Mercury compiler.
This features improved compilation speed, offers better portability,
and sometimes generates substantially better code.
(The original back-end is still included.)

* There's a version of the new back-end which generates code
for Microsoft's new .NET system.

* There's a version of the new back-end which compiles directly
to assembler, using the GCC back-end.

* Various language extensions (tuples, record syntax, ...),

* Lots of new library packages, including a lexical analyzer library
and "Moose", a parser generator for Mercury.

Mercury is a general-purpose programming language, designed and
implemented by a group of researchers at the University of Melbourne,
Australia. Mercury is based on the paradigm of purely declarative
programming, and was designed to be useful for the development of large
and robust real-world applications. It improves on existing logic
programming languages by providing increased productivity, reliability
and efficiency, and by avoiding the need for non-logical program
constructs. Mercury provides the traditional logic programming syntax,
but also allows the syntactic convenience of user-defined functions,
smoothly integrating logic and functional programming into a single
paradigm.

For more information about Mercury, see the Mercury web page at
<http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/mercury/>.

To download Mercury 0.10.1,
see <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/mercury/download/release.html>.
As well as source (.tar.gz and .src.rpm), we've provided binaries
for Linux (.tar.gz, .deb, and .rpm), Windows, SPARC/Solaris,
and Alpha/Digital Unix.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>, on behalf of
the Mercury Team <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/mercury/contact/people.html>