Re: PowerPC (output) C Compiler on W95

"Mike Dimmick" <mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk>
4 Apr 2001 00:14:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
PowerPC (output) C Compiler on W95 mrbitty@cedar.alberni.net (Larry) (2001-03-31)
Re: PowerPC (output) C Compiler on W95 mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk (Mike Dimmick) (2001-04-04)
Re: PowerPC (output) C Compiler on W95 joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-04-04)
Re: PowerPC (output) C Compiler on W95 bje@redhat.com (Ben Elliston) (2001-04-10)
Re: PowerPC (output) C Compiler on W95 hansen.c@worldnet.att.net (Carsten Hansen) (2001-04-10)
Re: PowerPC (output) C Compiler on W95 meissner@redhat.com (Michael Meissner) (2001-04-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Mike Dimmick" <mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Apr 2001 00:14:37 -0400
Posted-Date: 04 Apr 2001 00:14:37 EDT

"Larry" <mrbitty@cedar.alberni.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of a C compiler that will generate code for a
> PowerPC but runs on a Windows platform? I know IBM and Motorola both
> sell such things but at a very high price. I'm looking to learn
> PowerPC assembly and am thinking I could get some good ideas by
> looking at the code generated by a C compiler. I don't have a Mac
> yet. If I can find the source for a PowerPC C compiler it is
> reasonable to expect to compile this on a W95 machine and run it?
> Thanks for any info.

Your best bet for this purpose is probably to obtain GCC
(http://gcc.gnu.org/) source code and configure it as a cross-compiler
for the PowerPC platform. It only supports compilation for the
PowerPC Linux platform, but since you're intending to learn assembly,
this shouldn't be a problem.

Obtaining the appropriate assembler may prove trickier. I'm not sure if GCC
will compile correctly without access to a PowerPC assembler, but that may
be something you have to discover for yourself.

There's a FAQ about building a GCC cross-compiler at
http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/

I seem to recall that there was once a release of Windows NT for PowerPC
Common Hardware Reference Platform (you know, the platforms that never got
built ;) so Microsoft may still be able to provide a set of compilation
tools to plug into Visual C++, if you already have that. I couldn't even
begin to guess at a cost, though. Alternatively, I believe there's still a
PowerMac cross-development edition - it seems intuitively obvious that there
should be, given that Microsoft produces Macintosh applications with a fair
degree of common source code with their Windows cousins...

Hope this helps,

--
Mike Dimmick