Re: Diff Tools

Dennis Yelle <dennis51@jps.net>
27 Mar 2001 23:47:22 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Diff Tools eric.cameron@itt.com (2001-03-26)
Re: Diff Tools rsnorman@mediaone.net (Richard Norman) (2001-03-27)
Re: Diff Tools evilzr@yahoo.com (Daniel Dunbar) (2001-03-27)
Re: Diff Tools broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de (Hans-Bernhard Broeker) (2001-03-27)
Re: Diff Tools dennis51@jps.net (Dennis Yelle) (2001-03-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Dennis Yelle <dennis51@jps.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:47:22 -0500
Posted-Date: 27 Mar 2001 23:47:22 EST

eric.cameron@itt.com wrote:
> I've encountered a documented problem within Visual C++, that the
> same code will produce different sized executables, when compiled at
> different times or on different machines.
>
> Now, the problem is, my company wants to be able to see the
> differences between these two executables. If they are just time/date
> stamps, that's fine, but if there is other stuff (memory contents,
> etc) there may be problems, and we have to be able to determine that.
> We'd like a more programmatic way of doing this then using a hex
> editor, but any suggestions are helpful.

First, take a look at the sizes of the *.obj files that the compiler
produces. Is only one different? Or are most of them different? You
do know about debug vs. release builds, right? Are you using the
exact same compiler version, and the exact same "service pack" or
whatever they call it now?

Dennis Yelle
--
I am a computer programmer and I am looking for a job.
There is a link to my resume here: