Re: COFF questions

Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
25 Feb 2001 10:54:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
COFF questions xl@xaff.org (Xavier Leclercq) (2001-02-23)
Re: COFF questions broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de (Hans-Bernhard Broeker) (2001-02-25)
Re: COFF questions joewhaley@hotmail.com (John Whaley) (2001-02-25)
Re: COFF questions rhyde@transdimension.com (Randall Hyde) (2001-03-01)
Re: COFF questions stonybrk@fubar.com (Norman Black) (2001-03-01)
COFF questions jm@egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey B. Messinger) (1991-02-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Feb 2001 10:54:29 -0500
Posted-Date: 25 Feb 2001 10:54:29 EST

Xavier Leclercq <xl@xaff.org> wrote:
> I have several questions about the COFF format.
> I have the Microsoft specification. There seem to be some errors in it.

Well, for the start, you should note that what Microsoft calls 'COFF'
is not the same as what that word meant before they came in to spoil
it. Another case of "embrace and extend", that is. That's one reason
why the GNU BFD library needs a separate backend for 'pe_coff'.

> Do you know where I can find other COFF spec (for the System V R3 e.g.)

DJ Delorie, the guy who ported GCC to DOS, has one for the variant of
COFF used by that port (DJGPP) on his Web pages:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc/coff/

That's probably not the 100% official story on COFF, either, of
course, but it may be as close as it gets, short of hunting down a
copy of the paper version of the original SVR3 definition, or that
book mentioned by our esteemed moderator.