Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C)

Rainer Leupers <leupers@ls12.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
17 Feb 2001 01:33:52 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) kyle_hayes@pacbell.net (Kyle) (2001-02-15)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) vbdis@aol.com (2001-02-15)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) rpgurd@archelon.com (Preston Gurd) (2001-02-15)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) qarnos@ozemail.com.au (QarnoS) (2001-02-15)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) henry@spsystems.net (2001-02-15)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) mobius@news.eecs.umich.edu (2001-02-17)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) leupers@ls12.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Leupers) (2001-02-17)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-03-04)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) leupers@ls12.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Leupers) (2001-03-08)
Re: Microcontroller Compilers (C) joachim_d@gmx.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2001-03-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Rainer Leupers <leupers@ls12.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Feb 2001 01:33:52 -0500
Posted-Date: 17 Feb 2001 01:33:52 EST

Matt Guthaus wrote:

> I work in a group that has several microcontrollers (ISAs) specified or
> being specified. Yet, we don't have a compiler yet.
>
> I've been looking at GCC (Using and Porting the GNU Compiler Collection)
> and LCC. However, it seems that neither of these compilers is well adapted
> to 8- or 16-bit microcontrollers. GCC has only two 16-bit machine definition
> files (PDP11 and dsp16xx) and LCC has none.
>
> What would people recommend for the fastest way to get a prototype compiler
> working? GCC or LCC? Another compiler with a portable backend?

You might have a look at our LANCE C compiler system. It comes with a
C frontend, a set of machine-independent optimizations, and an
interface to OLIVE/IBURG like backend generators. The backend
interface allows to develop working compiler prototypes relatively
quickly. LANCE is almost totally machine-independent. We have used it
to build compilers for a couple of DSPs, RISCs, and MCs.

As compared to GCC, LANCE is certainly easier to use, but it does not
support C++. As compared to LCC, there is more effort for writing the
backend, but LANCE includes more optimizations.
--
Dr. Rainer Leupers
University of Dortmund, Dept. of Computer Science 12