Recognition of typedefs in C ?

"David Pereira" <davidpereira@home.com>
18 Jan 2001 01:13:21 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Recognition of typedefs in C ? davidpereira@home.com (David Pereira) (2001-01-18)
Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ? henry@spsystems.net (2001-01-19)
Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ? apiron@ulb.ac.be (Anthony PIRON) (2001-01-19)
Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ? Joachim.Pimiskern@de.bosch.com (Joachim Pimiskern) (2001-01-19)
Re: Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ? james.grosbach@microchip.com (James H.Grosbach) (2001-01-26)
Re: Recognition of typedefs in C ? jos@and.nl (Jos A. Horsmeier) (2001-01-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "David Pereira" <davidpereira@home.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jan 2001 01:13:21 -0500
Posted-Date: 18 Jan 2001 01:13:21 EST

Hi,
        I am writing a C compiler and am at the parser stage. I have run
into a bit of a problem. I need to enable the lexer to distinguish
typedef names from ordinary identifiers. At first glance, it seemed
that building a table of typedef names was enough - the lexer would
consult this table and return TYPENAME if the name was found in this
table, otherwise IDENTIFIER. However, this is inadequate since
*context* matters. How can this context be discerned ?

The following piece of code demonstrates the inadequacies of a simple
typename table:

typedef int x; /* parser enters 'x' into the typename table */
x blah; /* lexer consults typename table and returns TYPENAME for
'x'. GOOD !!! */

int main ()
{
        int x; /* lexer consults typename table and returns TYPENAME for x.
BAD !!! */
        return 0;
}

Any ideas ??

DP.
[This is by far the ugliest part of parsing C. See the archives, it's
come up before. -John]