Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees

David Chase <chase@naturalbridge.com>
11 Jan 2001 12:27:53 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees davidpereira@home.com (David Pereira) (2001-01-09)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees j.troeger@qut.edu.au (Jens Troeger) (2001-01-11)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees ruff@mcst.ru (Andrey S. Bokhanko) (2001-01-11)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees christl@oberon.fmi.uni-passau.de (2001-01-11)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees chase@naturalbridge.com (David Chase) (2001-01-11)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees nr@labrador.eecs.harvard.edu (2001-01-11)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees jacobs@darwin.epbi.cwru.edu (Kevin Jacobs) (2001-01-11)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees Sid-Ahmed-Ali.TOUATI@inria.fr (Sid Ahmed Ali TOUATI) (2001-01-11)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees Joachim.Pimiskern@de.bosch.com (Joachim Pimiskern) (2001-01-11)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees pradipkar@my-deja.com (2001-01-18)
Re: Graphical Depiction of Parse Trees dewd@aracnet.com (David Wohlford) (2001-03-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David Chase <chase@naturalbridge.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Jan 2001 12:27:53 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Jan 2001 12:27:53 EST

> I, however, want to browse this tree. I can print it out; in fact
> that is exactly what I am doing presently, but am looking for a
> better solution. In particular, I was wondering if I could generate
> the tree in some special format as input to some sort of program
> that draws the tree onto the screen (whose nodes can be expanded and
> collapsed with the click of a mouse button perhaps). The crux of the
> matter is "hierachical visualization for a hierarchical
> datatype". Any ideas ???

Someone, I don't know who, called this "holophrasm" [sp?]. If you can
get your hands on a copy of Mike Caplinger's dissertation (Rice U,
1987, give or take a year) it might help you some there. We were all
working on a Fortran programming environment back then, that did
display ASTs (with less and less emphasis on the "A" over time) in a
hierarchical and allegedly acceptable form. Editing them is a bigger
problem, since (as others have observed) most programs undergoing
modification spend most of their time not in a
syntactically/semantically "correct" form. There's later work done
(at Rice) on this by Don Baker (graduate student) and Scott Warren
(adjunct prof, I think also advisor to Don Baker). I'm sure other
people have worked on this problem; these are just the ones that I
happen to know.

David Chase
chase@naturalbridge.com