Re: Hand-written parsers?

LLkParsing@aol.com
31 Dec 2000 03:00:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Hand-written parsers? thomas.luzat@gmx.net (Thomas Luzat) (2000-12-23)
Re: Hand-written parsers? mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk (Mike Dimmick) (2000-12-24)
Re: Hand-written parsers? smoleski@surakware.com (Sebastian Moleski) (2000-12-24)
Re: Hand-written parsers? jparis11@home.com (Jean Pariseau) (2000-12-24)
Re: Hand-written parsers? LLkParsing@aol.com (2000-12-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: LLkParsing@aol.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 Dec 2000 03:00:56 -0500
Posted-Date: 31 Dec 2000 03:00:56 EST

> [A counterargument says that if Stroustrup had paid attention to the
> error messages from yacc, maybe the syntax C++ wouldn't be such a mess
> and at least wouldn't be ambiguous. -John]

Interesting perspective. I had always assumed arrogance, when simple
carelessness could explain the inclusion of the function-style cast in
the language. The most disturbing result of this is that it seems to
have caused a trend towards the use of syntactic predicates and GLR
parsing. These tend to mask the underlying inefficiency of the
non-deterministic algorithms.

A clear advantage of using a parser generator is that it does the
grammar analysis first before trying to write the parser. Recursive
descent developers might benefit by using this approach.