Re: Hand-written parsers?

"Jean Pariseau" <jparis11@home.com>
24 Dec 2000 16:04:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Hand-written parsers? thomas.luzat@gmx.net (Thomas Luzat) (2000-12-23)
Re: Hand-written parsers? mike@dimmick.demon.co.uk (Mike Dimmick) (2000-12-24)
Re: Hand-written parsers? smoleski@surakware.com (Sebastian Moleski) (2000-12-24)
Re: Hand-written parsers? jparis11@home.com (Jean Pariseau) (2000-12-24)
Re: Hand-written parsers? LLkParsing@aol.com (2000-12-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Jean Pariseau" <jparis11@home.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Dec 2000 16:04:44 -0500
Posted-Date: 24 Dec 2000 16:04:44 EST

Thomas,
        As to what most commercial compilers use for parser creation I
have no idea. I do know that Borland's Delphi and C++ Builder
compilers are recursive-descent. Although C++ can be parsed with a
recursive-descent parser, some nimble footwork is required to get
around some tricky situations. One other approach to utilizing a
recursive descent parser is to seletcively jump into other parsing
methods. Sometimes the task of parsing can be simplified by using
recursive-descent for most of the syntactic structures and then
handing off to operator-precedence algorithms for things like
expressions. I have been working on a pascal derivative using
recursive descent and it is quite easy, but to parse assembler
statements I use a table driven approach for efficiency reasons. Both
are hand-written.

Jean