Re: VB/VBA: Creating list of variables and parsing statements

vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
3 Dec 2000 01:01:41 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
VB/VBA: Creating list of variables and parsing statements kaikow@standards.com (Howard Kaikow) (2000-11-26)
Re: VB/VBA: Creating list of variables and parsing statements vbdis@aol.com (2000-11-30)
Re: VB/VBA: Creating list of variables and parsing statements snicol@apk.net (Scott Nicol) (2000-12-01)
Re: VB/VBA: Creating list of variables and parsing statements vbdis@aol.com (2000-12-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: vbdis@aol.com (VBDis)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Dec 2000 01:01:41 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Dec 2000 01:01:39 EST

Scott Nicol <snicol@apk.net> schreibt:
> Variables declared anywhere with a procedure are
> accessible anywhere within a procure, so you have to
> parse all variables first (or patch up later, but
> this can make things more difficult).

When variables are used before they are declared, then VB assumes a
variable of type Variant. When the following Dim statement indicates a
different type, this is flagged as an error.

>- reserved words that are reserved only in certain
> contexts (i.e. "access", "append" and "binary"

This situation is common to many languages :-(

You're right with all (other) topics, and now I'm happy that I never
tried to really parse VB code. During the development of my
decompilers it was sufficient to only parse for declarations :-)

DoDi