Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth

"David Thompson" <david.thompson1@worldnet.att.net>
11 Nov 2000 10:34:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth webmaster@mkp.com (2000-10-31)
Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth smoleski@surakware.com (Sebastian Moleski) (2000-11-01)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth mikael@pobox.com (Mikael Lyngvig) (2000-11-04)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth michael.finney@acm.org (Michael Lee Finney) (2000-11-05)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth ollanes@pobox.com (Orlando Llanes) (2000-11-05)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth jsvendsen@bergen.frisurf.no (2000-11-07)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth jparis11@home.com (Jean Pariseau) (2000-11-07)
Re: Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth david.thompson1@worldnet.att.net (David Thompson) (2000-11-11)
Re: New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth guerby@acm.org (Laurent Guerby) (2000-11-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "David Thompson" <david.thompson1@worldnet.att.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Nov 2000 10:34:14 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Nov 2000 10:34:14 EST

Michael Lee Finney <michael.finney@acm.org> wrote :
> Semantic richness is far more important than minimizing the size of
> the compiler -- the latter goal simply is not of interest to me at
> all. I consider PASCAL and Wirth's successive languages (including
> ADA) to be the worst languages on Earth (and, at one time, I did have
> to use some of them for quite some time <shudder>).

I agree about Pascal (at least the original version, before
everyone started extending it -- differently), but Ada
(initial cap, these are both proper names not acronyms)
while the surface syntax has some similarity to Pascal,
and I have heard to JOVIAL (I don't know that myself),
1) was not designed or AFAIK even affected by Wirth, and
2) most definitely does not try to minimize the compiler
and related tools. It has all the semantic richness I think
you can ask for in a "normal" (imperative) 3GL. If anything
it has the PL/1 disease of including so many options
and choices that people can end up using mutually
incomprehensible but completely legal subsets.
(I know of one Ada implementation, on a fairly large
multiprocessor system a few years back, where
you could not run an Ada program with its runtime support
under the debugger on a single CPU without the equivalent
of a panic; the vendor supplied instructions on how to set
system options to force them into different CPUs!)
- David.Thompson 1 now at worldnet.att.net
[Ada was designed by competitive bid. The winner was the "green"
language designed by a group in France. -John]