Re: convert x86 assembly to c ?

david lindauer <dlindauer@notifier-is.net>
25 Sep 2000 13:22:58 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
convert x86 assembly to c ? winsim@winsim.com (Lynn McGuire) (2000-09-24)
Re: convert x86 assembly to c ? s337240@student.uq.edu.au (Trent Waddington) (2000-09-25)
Re: convert x86 assembly to c ? Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk (2000-09-25)
Re: convert x86 assembly to c ? dlindauer@notifier-is.net (david lindauer) (2000-09-25)
Re: convert x86 assembly to c ? winsim@winsim.com (Lynn McGuire) (2000-09-25)
Re: convert x86 assembly to c ? winsim@winsim.com (Lynn McGuire) (2000-09-28)
Re: convert x86 assembly to c ? vbdis@aol.com (2000-09-28)
Re: convert x86 assembly to c ? bsheff2@yahoo.com (2000-10-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: david lindauer <dlindauer@notifier-is.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Sep 2000 13:22:58 -0400

Lynn McGuire wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good tool to convert x86 assembly to C code ?
>
> Even slow C code equivalent of assembly would be good.
>
> Surely someone has a half done parser out there !

At one time there was a web page devoted to the topic from the point
of view of theory . It had downloads, several of which were for the
x86, but weren't very complete because the state of the art in this
area is far from complete.. If interested email me at
mailto:camille@bluegrass.net & I'll try to find it. You can also look
at www.decompiler.com but I don't think that is the page I'm referring
to...

Meanwhile the guys at this site are working in this general direction:

www.datarescue.com

They have a very good disassembler package primarily for the x86 but
also for other processors; and within the last few years have put in
support for complete identification of the run-time libraries for all
the popular C compilers for both DOS and WIN16/32. If your code was
originally written in C this could be handy for isolating areas you
don't need to rework.

David