Eff cient 3-address code in C? (was Re: Three Address Code)

"Travers Naran" <tnaran@direct.ca>
21 Sep 2000 18:09:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Three Address Code smitha_chandran@yahoo.com (2000-09-11)
Re: Three Address Code leupers@ls12.cs.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Leupers) (2000-09-17)
Eff cient 3-address code in C? (was Re: Three Address Code) tnaran@direct.ca (Travers Naran) (2000-09-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Travers Naran" <tnaran@direct.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Sep 2000 18:09:14 -0400

"Rainer Leupers" <leupers@ls12.cs.uni-dortmund.de> wrote in message
> In our C compiler platform LANCE, the three address code intermediate
> representation (IR) is represented in the form of low-level C
> statements.
> The advantage of this is that the IR can be compiled
> just like the original C source. This feature can be
> used for validation of the C frontend and
> the IR optimization passes.
>
> I attach a small example that illustrates the translation
> from C code to three address code.

Now *I* have a question:

I've tried this in the past, but have not been terribly impressed with
the quality (or efficiency) of the generated machine code. This was
8+ years ago. Does anybody have any experience with the practicality
of using C as a 3-address code target?

I do like the idea of using it to _debug_ 3-address code generation, though.
--
--------
Travers Naran: Computer Programmer & P/T Meddler In Time & Space