Re: Event based language, does it exist?

Dan Cohen <dancohen@nospam.canuck.com>
8 Sep 2000 02:15:44 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Event based language, does it exist? wvenable@sfu.ca (Wayne Venables) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? c_pew@mail.utexas.edu (Curtis Pew) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? jp@secher-web.dk (Jens Peter Secher) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? bonzini@gnu.org (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? ian@five-d.com (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? trollet@skynet.be (Atle) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? dancohen@nospam.canuck.com (Dan Cohen) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? mac@ac.valley.net (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? burow@ifh.de (Burkhard Dietrich Burow) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? mwh@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin von Loewis) (2000-09-08)

From: Dan Cohen <dancohen@nospam.canuck.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Sep 2000 02:15:44 -0400

Mihai Christodorescu wrote:

> Per Olesen wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a language which is based solely on events
>
> I am not sure what a "event-only language" would mean. From...

I don't think the concept has changed:
  - An event is an object or data packet of some kind
  - It was created when some discrete 'event' or state-change happened
  - It was created by the object or module that changed state
  - The message would carry the data relevant to the particular event
  - The system somehow magically routes the event object to handlers or
receivers
  - Any or all of the event handlers may examine it, but one of them is
expected to use it
  - The target handler usually 'consumes' it, but not necessarily
  - The target responds by executing its procedure.

This is more-or-less what an event is (I think).

An 'event-only language' would always pass its information (data and
state) via event messages. In general, the sender never knows which
handler might pick it up, and the handler doesn't know where it came
from. They respond to events, not sources.

The paradigm is not strange at all. Java and the C++ API's have all
these features, but the language (as Per asks) is not 'event-only'.

As for myself, I have written software that follows these rules, but the
only hardware I know about was the Markham company that isn't there
anymore.

  -- Dan Cohen in Calgary