Re: Event based language, does it exist?

gneuner@dyn.com (George Neuner)
7 Sep 2000 14:55:19 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Event based language, does it exist? polesen@nordija.com (Per Olesen) (2000-08-27)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? dancohen@nospam.canuck.com (Dan Cohen) (2000-09-02)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? cbbrowne@knuth.brownes.org (2000-09-02)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? mihai@cs.wisc.edu (Mihai Christodorescu) (2000-09-02)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? Joachim.Pimiskern@de.bosch.com (Joachim Pimiskern) (2000-09-07)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? peter@abbnm.com (2000-09-07)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? gneuner@dyn.com (2000-09-07)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? wvenable@sfu.ca (Wayne Venables) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? c_pew@mail.utexas.edu (Curtis Pew) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? jp@secher-web.dk (Jens Peter Secher) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? bonzini@gnu.org (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? ian@five-d.com (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? trollet@skynet.be (Atle) (2000-09-08)

From: gneuner@dyn.com (George Neuner)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
Date: 7 Sep 2000 14:55:19 -0400

On 27 Aug 2000 22:31:34 -0400, "Per Olesen" <polesen@nordija.com>
wrote:

>I'm trying to find a language which is based solely on events, but I
>do not know if it exists. What I do know is, that there is a whole lot
>of languages out there, so it should be strange if there isn't an
>event based one :-)

I'm not really sure what you mean by "event based", but I'll take a
stab at it.

You might look into some of the "expert system", rule-based logic
languages. They use a simple form of resolution to match a database
of "facts" to rules [code] which acts upon them. In such languages,
entering or deleting a fact in the database would qualify as an event.

Also you might look into the more general tuple-space languages which
consider both code and data to be communication and/or synchronization
items. As with the rule-based languages, there is a resolution
mechanism that matches code to data and runs the code when its
required data is available. The difference is that code and data are
treated more symmetrically than in the rule-based languages.

Third, you might look into "data flow" system architectures which are
the [theoretical] hardware realization of tuple programming.

George Neuner
Dynamic Resolutions, Inc.