Re: Event based language, does it exist?

peter@abbnm.com (Peter da Silva)
7 Sep 2000 14:54:44 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Event based language, does it exist? polesen@nordija.com (Per Olesen) (2000-08-27)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? dancohen@nospam.canuck.com (Dan Cohen) (2000-09-02)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? cbbrowne@knuth.brownes.org (2000-09-02)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? mihai@cs.wisc.edu (Mihai Christodorescu) (2000-09-02)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? Joachim.Pimiskern@de.bosch.com (Joachim Pimiskern) (2000-09-07)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? peter@abbnm.com (2000-09-07)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? gneuner@dyn.com (2000-09-07)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? wvenable@sfu.ca (Wayne Venables) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? c_pew@mail.utexas.edu (Curtis Pew) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? jp@secher-web.dk (Jens Peter Secher) (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? bonzini@gnu.org (2000-09-08)
Re: Event based language, does it exist? ian@five-d.com (2000-09-08)

From: peter@abbnm.com (Peter da Silva)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
Date: 7 Sep 2000 14:54:44 -0400

Per Olesen <polesen@nordija.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to find a language which is based solely on events, but I
> do not know if it exists. What I do know is, that there is a whole lot
> of languages out there, so it should be strange if there isn't an
> event based one :-)

I wrote a compiler for one that never went into production because the
manager for the project decided that a recursive descent compiler
(this was layered on top of Forth, for heavens sake, so what else
would you use?) wasn't good enough and decided it was more fun being
the software guy than the manager... so the project languished for 6
months while he wrote a YACC parser and code to convert the YACC
skeleton and code tables from C to Forth so it'd run on top of our
hardware... then it got tanked... no, I'm not bitter. Much. Any more.

There were no loops... not even counted loops... any repetition was
handled by triggering events.

This was over 15 years ago, the actual details of the language seem to
have been garbage-collected.

--
  `-_-' In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
    'U` "Milloin halasit viimeksi suttasi?"