Re: object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO

neelk@brick.cswv.com (Neel Krishnaswami)
23 Jul 2000 16:49:31 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO bretr_a@--nospam--one.net.au (Brett) (2000-07-18)
Re: object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO ast@halcyon.com (Andrew Tucker) (2000-07-23)
Re: object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO neelk@brick.cswv.com (2000-07-23)
Re: object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO ralph@inputplus.demon.co.uk (2000-07-23)
Re: object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO jkahrs@castor.atlas.de (Juergen Kahrs) (2000-07-23)
Re: object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO greldinard@my-deja.com (2000-07-23)
Re: object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO rpw3@rigden.engr.sgi.com (2000-07-27)
Re: object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO bernd@informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de (2000-07-27)
Re: object oriented compiler/interpreter - HOWTO felix@anu.ie (felix) (2000-07-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: neelk@brick.cswv.com (Neel Krishnaswami)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jul 2000 16:49:31 -0400

Brett <bretr_a@--nospam--one.net.au> wrote:
> Can anyone point me in right direction for writing my own OO
> compiler/interpreter?
>
> The Dragon Book doesn't cover OO, and as much as I'd love to trawl
> thru the Python or Ruby source code, at this stage I'm really
> looking for something more high level.

If you are just interested in the basics of how OO is implemented,
then I'd recommend Friedman, Wand and Haynes' _Essentials of
Programming Languages_. It's "how to write Scheme interpreters", and
chapter 7 is about the implementation of a prototype-based object
system. The math level needed is a bit lower than Dragon book level.

If you want to go one step further and learn how to implement
realistic bytecode interpreters, compilers, reflection, and object
systems, then Christian Queinnec's _Lisp in Small Pieces_ is really,
really excellent. It requires a fair amount of mathematical
sophistication, and it doesn't hurt to be a seasoned Scheme hacker.
Almost all the techniques in this book are applicable to OO languages
like Smalltalk and Python, too, so don't be frightened off by all the
parens.:)

Neel