Does a `state machine generator' exist?

Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
30 May 2000 02:37:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Does a `state machine generator' exist? imdave@mcs.net (Dave Bodenstab) (2000-05-30)
Re: Does a `state machine generator' exist? eodell@pobox.com (Eric O'Dell) (2000-05-31)
Does a `state machine generator' exist? cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (2000-06-01)
Re: Does a `state machine generator' exist? sergio@titan.demon.co.uk (sergio) (2000-06-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 May 2000 02:37:35 -0400

Is there such a beast as a state machine generator on the order of
lex/yacc? I'd like to define a set of states and actions to take
place on the state transistion for a tool that would generate the
tables and logic to maintain the state. It's not that hard to write
some code that handles a specific instance, but it's a pain to modify
it when one needs to add/change the states. I was wondering if there
is some automated tool to generate the guts from some sort of a
high-level description? Am I making any sense?

Thanks.

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@mcs.net
[Since a regular expression is equivalent to a DFA, lex may well do what
you want. -John]