Re: Stack based machines

Keith Wootten <Keith@wootten.demon.co.uk>
28 Mar 2000 01:00:32 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Stack based machines pieter@cs.kun.nl (Pieter Koopman) (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines bonzini@my-deja.com (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines gneuner@dyn.com (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines dxj@mnsinc.com (Deepak Janardhanan) (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines koopman@cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (2000-03-25)
Re: Stack based machines Keith@wootten.demon.co.uk (Keith Wootten) (2000-03-28)
Re: Stack based machines bpaysan@mikron.de (Bernd Paysan) (2000-03-28)
Re: Stack based machines dxj@mnsinc.com (Deepak Janardhanan) (2000-03-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Keith Wootten <Keith@wootten.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.arch
Date: 28 Mar 2000 01:00:32 -0500

plakal@cs.wisc.edu writes

There's the PSC1000 from Patriot Scientific at www.ptsc.com

It's a 32 bit dual stack machine with on-chip stacks and lots of spare
registers as well. Each 32bit opcode in fact comprises 4 x 8bit opcodes
which operate sequentially at full clock speed thus reducing the memory
bottleneck.

It's a very clever and unorthodox chip design with lots of features,
including all sorts of memory management stuff and a separate on-chip
I/O processor. Unorthodox frightens some people.

It's also inexpensive, low power and very fast. Patriot supply C and
Java, and Forth Inc supply - you guessed it - Forth. The instruction
set maps very well to Forth's virtual machine, making it almost an
*actual* machine. Forth frightens some people.

The documentation is good quality and in .pdf format. Be bold.

Cheers
--
Keith Wootten