Re: Language design/VM design

"Alan Fargusson" <alanf@ns.net>
23 Mar 2000 03:32:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Language design/VM design floris@vangog.net (Floris 'Tamama' van Gog) (2000-02-27)
Re: Language design/VM design joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-03-06)
Re: Language design/VM design jeremy@jboden.demon.co.uk (Jeremy Boden) (2000-03-06)
Re: Language design/VM design floris@vangog.net (Floris 'Tamama' van Gog) (2000-03-11)
Re: Language design/VM design jeremy@jboden.demon.co.uk (Jeremy Boden) (2000-03-23)
Re: Language design/VM design alanf@ns.net (Alan Fargusson) (2000-03-23)
Re: Language design/VM design joachim.durchholz@halstenbach.com.or.de (Joachim Durchholz) (2000-03-23)
Re: Language design/VM design floris@vangog.net (Floris 'Tamama' van Gog) (2000-03-28)
Re: Language design/VM design stephan@pcrm.win.tue.nl (2000-04-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Alan Fargusson" <alanf@ns.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Mar 2000 03:32:29 -0500

I have Soltis book "Inside the AS/400". In it he goes into a lot of detail
on how pointers work in the AS/400. I don't want to re-read the book right
now so I will describe how pointers work as I remember it.

Actually the 128 bit addresses are only used in the intermediate code that
OS/400 uses. The actual machine code for the POWER chips that are used have
64 bit pointers. The registers are actually 65 bits however. When a
register is modified the extra bit is set. When memory is addressed using a
register with the bit set the hardware traps to the OS, which checks the
pointer. If the pointer is valid the OS resets the extra bit and resumes
the program.

A pointer can be set to any value you want, but if you use a pointer that is
not valid the OS will abort your program.