Dynamic Binding

"Rodrigo Augusto B. Ferreira" <raugfer@uol.com.br>
15 Jan 2000 14:39:35 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Dynamic Binding raugfer@uol.com.br (Rodrigo Augusto B. Ferreira) (2000-01-15)
Re: Dynamic Binding anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2000-01-19)
Re: Dynamic Binding scorp@btinternet.com (2000-01-19)
Re: Dynamic Binding eernst@cs.auc.dk (Erik Ernst) (2000-01-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Rodrigo Augusto B. Ferreira" <raugfer@uol.com.br>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Jan 2000 14:39:35 -0500

Hi,

The best known technique to implement dynamic binding is using method
tables. However the use of method tables inhibits some compiling
optimizations, for instance, method inlining of virtual calls requires
global DFA and suffers from conservatism.

I was wondering if using dynamic type resolution, by compiling a
lookup switch statement for each virtual call, would be valuable to
increase the possibility of optimization.

I know that, although this technique transforms virtual calls in
switch + static calls, it has some weak points like being slower and
requiring the type hierarchy to be known at compile time. But I
suspect that in some cases it may be worth trying.

Any pointers and oppinions are welcome.

Best Regards,
Rodrigo Augusto.
--