Parsing book online

eodell@pobox.com (Eric O'Dell)
13 Dec 1999 01:02:25 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing book online eodell@pobox.com (1999-12-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: eodell@pobox.com (Eric O'Dell)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Dec 1999 01:02:25 -0500

I haven't heard this mentioned here and it doesn't appear to be in the
FAQ, so I thought I would pass it along:

Grune & Jacob's _Parsing Techniques: A Practical Guide_ is one of many
high-end books now out-of-print as Prentice Hall retreats from that
market. It is now available for download in both PostScript and PDF
from:

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dick/PTAPG.html

The site gives the following description:

>This 320-page book treats parsing in its own right, in greater depth
>than is found in most computer science and linguistics books. It offers
>a clear, accessible, and thorough discussion of many different parsing
>techniques with their interrelations and applicabilities, including
>error recovery techniques. Unlike most books, it treats (almost) all
>parsing methods, not just the popular ones. See Preface + Introduction
>and/or Table of Contents for a quick impression.
>
>The book features a 48 page systematic bibliography containing over 400
>entries. A general context-free parser is supplied (Figure 12.1 and
>Figure 12.2) and discussed in detail.
>
>No advanced mathematical knowledge is required; the book is based on an
>intuitive and engineering-like understanding of the processes involved
>in parsing, rather than on the set manipulations used in practice.

Looks nice.

--Eric