Re: Re: compiler books, was Looking for Compiler Design in C, by Holub

"Quinn Tyler Jackson" <qjackson@wave.home.com>
1 Dec 1999 23:39:27 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for Compiler Design in C, by Holub lojedaortiz@interlink.com.ar (Nicolás) (1999-11-20)
Re: Looking for Compiler Design in C, by Holub vween@gdi.net (Wayne) (1999-11-23)
Re: Looking for Compiler Design in C, by Holub lojedaortiz@interlink.com.ar (Nicolás) (1999-11-28)
Re: compiler books, was Looking for Compiler Design in C, by Holub compres@world.stc.com (Chris F Clark) (1999-11-29)
Re: Re: compiler books, was Looking for Compiler Design in C, by Holub qjackson@wave.home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1999-12-01)
Re: Re: compiler books, was Looking for Compiler Design in C, by Holub doug@netcom.com (1999-12-24)
Re: making a production quality parsing tool qjackson@wave.home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1999-12-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Quinn Tyler Jackson" <qjackson@wave.home.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Dec 1999 23:39:27 -0500

Chris Clark said:

> However, it is not clear to me that learning to write a parser
> generator teaches one very much about writing a compiler or even about
> how to write a parser. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a book that
> does a good job of teaching one how to write a grammar. (There are
> some books that at least give a good rough draft of how to build a
> compiler provided that one has a grammar.)

As a parser generator author, I have to agree on all the points. I'm
not convinced that every undergraduate could write one as a term
project, however.

> Even today, years later, there are still edges that are rough and
> need sanding. If you ask Terence about ANTLR, you'll find that
> story is similar.

PAISLEI is a year old now, and the underlying engine about 5 years
old, and it's *just* starting to be useful in any meaningful sense. I
anticipate another year before a full compiler can be implemented with
it. (Or should I say - I anticipate it will take me a year to write
an entire C++ grammar with it because of my other projects.)

I think (just a hypothesis) that parser generator writers have to be
particularly obsessed with their creation to produce anything of
consequence in the long run.
--
Quinn Tyler Jackson
http://www.qtj.net/~quinn/