Re: Presberger arithmetic in compiler optimisation.

"Daniel G. Chavarria" <danich@cs.rice.edu>
23 Nov 1999 13:04:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Presberger arithmetic in compiler optimisation. ap1jjg@gold.cics.shef.ac.uk (john green) (1999-11-23)
Re: Presberger arithmetic in compiler optimisation. league@contrapunctus.net (Christopher League) (1999-11-23)
Re: Presberger arithmetic in compiler optimisation. mwolfe@pgroup.com (1999-11-23)
Re: Presberger arithmetic in compiler optimisation. danich@cs.rice.edu (Daniel G. Chavarria) (1999-11-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Daniel G. Chavarria" <danich@cs.rice.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Nov 1999 13:04:14 -0500

john green wrote:
> I am interested in the Presberger arithmetic, the first order
> arithmetic of linear equalities, inequalities and disequalities with
> coefficients and solutions in the integers. For example
>
> (Exists y) x = 2*y + 1
>
> has the odd integers as solutions for x.
>
> In the literature I often see mention of applications in compiler
> optimisation, but have found little in the literature. Could anyone
> point me to references?

Jim,

        We use a Presburger Arithmetic integer set representation in our
parallelizing compiler for HPF.

        Take a look at www.cs.rice.edu/~dsystem and also look for papers by
John Mellor-Crummey and Vikram Adve.

        - "An Integer Set Framework for HPF Analysis and Code Generation" by
Vikram Adve, John Mellor-Crummey and Ajay Sethi.
        - "Advanced Code Generation for High Performance Fortran" by Vikram
Adve and John Mellor-Crummey.

        Hope this helps.

Greetings,

Daniel G. Chavarria-Miranda
Ph.D. Student
Dept. of Computer Science, Rice University