Re: Introspection/Reflection

Alan Donovan <>
23 Nov 1999 00:37:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Introspection/Reflection (Jonathan Barker) (1999-11-20)
Re: Introspection/Reflection (Basile STARYNKEVITCH) (1999-11-21)
Re: Introspection/Reflection (Alan Donovan) (1999-11-23)
Re: Introspection/Reflection (Christian Stapfer) (1999-11-25)
Re: Introspection/Reflection (Francois-Rene Rideau) (1999-12-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Alan Donovan <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Nov 1999 00:37:10 -0500

> Jonathan> Hi all. Can anyone provide me with pointers to work on
> Jonathan> a theoretical framework for 'reflection' and
> Jonathan> 'introspection'?
> "" and even
> ""
> are good links.

Hmmm. I'd have to argue with that. The definitions are unhelpful,
pretentious, often incorrect and laden with poorly-thought-out
political ramblings.

Even on the key topic of "reflection", the author gets confused with
"reflexive" notions in mathematics, and states blandly that "Linux is
developed from Linux" and "Lisp programs deal with data which can be
Lisp programs". These are not blinding insights, so I can only
conclude that if reflection really is something radically new then he
has failed to explain it.

    Alan Donovan
    Imerge Ltd. +44 1223 875265