Re: Cache access at compile time

Daniel Vogelheim <>
21 Nov 1999 23:24:59 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Cache access at compile time (1999-11-16)
Re: Cache access at compile time (Daniel Vogelheim) (1999-11-21)
Re: Cache access at compile time (Sid Ahmed Ali TOUATI) (1999-11-28)
Re: Cache access at compile time (Dan Truong) (1999-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Daniel Vogelheim <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Nov 1999 23:24:59 -0500

> Can anyone give me pointers to way to ascertain the cache access
> patterns at compile time.

The Universitaet Saarbruecken has done research to predict cache
behaviour of programs in order to guarantee upper time bounds in hard
real time systems.

If I remember correctly they analyzed SPARC binaries and given a
particular cache architecture classified all memory accesses into
"always hits", "don't know", or "don't know first iteration, always
hits afterwards" (for loops). The restrictions for this system were
quite severe ( ? only static addresses could be predicted ? ), but
they seemed to work allright for the real time people.

If this sounds like what you want, you can check their papers at:>ache_prediction

Daniel Vogelheim