Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help?

"Jonathan Barker" <jandk@easynet.co.uk>
5 Nov 1999 01:37:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? nop39545@mail.telepac.pt (João Paredes) (1999-11-03)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? adonovan@imerge.co.uk (Alan Donovan) (1999-11-05)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? Sunrise!nmh@dialup.nacamar.de (Nils M Holm) (1999-11-05)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? jandk@easynet.co.uk (Jonathan Barker) (1999-11-05)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? jshof@my-deja.com (1999-11-16)
Re: Hi, I'm creating a new language, anybody wants to help? nop39545@mail.telepac.pt (João Paredes) (1999-12-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Jonathan Barker" <jandk@easynet.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Nov 1999 01:37:29 -0500

João Paredes <nop39545@mail.telepac.pt> wrote
> I've been developing a new programming language. The compiler is made
> in PowerBASIC but it translates to Assembly, to be assembled with
> turbo assembler. It's a full 32-Bit language (from root) and it's
> intended to be used to make an operating system. The language is
> called Epsilon Pascal (aka Jamanta) and it's sort of mix of C++ and
> Pascal. I need some information on creating object code directly, for
> 32-Bit Protected Mode. Can anyone help please?

By 'object code' I understand relocatable machine code. I'm not sure
if this is what you mean, but if it is, read on... If you are asking
more generally about code generation then please ignore this message!

I'm no expert, but I tried this recently on a PC (pentium). The best
solution I found was modelled on the approach taken by Nasm (the
'Netwide Assembler'). The source is freely available and quite
readable once you get into it. They use a sort of virtual machine to
construct machine intstructions from a table of templates.

Hope this is of some use

Jonathan

> [Not to be unduly discouraging, but the first question I'd ask is "Why
> does the world need yet another programming language?" -John]

Some people do it for fun, John ;-)