Time for a virtual machines newsgroup?

rrt@persephone.al.cl.cam.ac.uk (Reuben Thomas)
2 Nov 1999 00:35:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Time for a virtual machines newsgroup? rrt@persephone.al.cl.cam.ac.uk (1999-11-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rrt@persephone.al.cl.cam.ac.uk (Reuben Thomas)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.forth,comp.lang.smalltalk,comp.lang.java.machine
Date: 2 Nov 1999 00:35:55 -0500

There are many newsgroups on which virtual machines (VMs) are
discussed, especially comp.compilers and the comp.lang.* hierarchy,
but there currently seems to be no newsgroup for discussion of virtual
machines in general.

Discussion of VM issues is often of tangential interest to the
majority of readers of these groups, yet many people are directly
interested in VMs. At the moment, there are many VM developers in
different communities who are isolated from each other and have to
make the same mistakes and learn the same lessons independently simply
because they have no common forum.

I think it's time for a newsgroup for the discussion of VM design and
implementation, all the way from formal models down to the nitty
gritty such as ways to make GNU C compile your bytecode interpreter
more efficiently.

I'm interested in posting an RFD for comp.vm (or similar), but I
thought I'd test the waters first. What do people think?
--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | certain, a. insufficiently analysed
[Creating a newsgroup is a pain in the neck. I'd be happy to host a