Re: compiler or interpreter for basic comp architecture (George Neuner)
29 Oct 1999 02:34:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler or interpreter for basic comp architecture (Henrique Seganfredo) (1999-10-28)
Re: compiler or interpreter for basic comp architecture (1999-10-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (George Neuner)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Oct 1999 02:34:03 -0400

On 28 Oct 1999 02:06:23 -0400, "Henrique Seganfredo"
<> wrote:

>....the problem is that I have no idea on the minimum archictecture
>that my system should have (# of registers, stacks, etc....) to easier
>the task of doing or porting a compiler or interpreter to it....this
>way I could modify my existing microprocessor projects to acquire a
>nice cpu core for a possible high level approach to it....

If you're building your own hardware, a stack machine is one of the
easiest to create a compiler for. You should check out the virtual
machines specs for both Forth and Java and also check out the material

Stack designs work well for slow RAM or designs with little memory.
Register machines quickly overwhelm them as RAM becomes plentiful and
speeds increase. But ... this is a learning exercise.

Good luck!

George Neuner
Dynamic Resolutions, Inc.