Re: handling exceptions

"Christian Stapfer" <chstapfer@bluewin.ch>
28 Oct 1999 02:07:04 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
handling exceptions m.w.m.pennings@twi.tudelft.nl (Maikel Pennings) (1999-10-27)
Re: handling exceptions jjones@cs.uiuc.edu (1999-10-28)
Re: handling exceptions chstapfer@bluewin.ch (Christian Stapfer) (1999-10-28)
Re: handling exceptions andi@complang.tuwien.ac.at (1999-10-29)
Re: handling exceptions Gautier.deMontmollin@maths.unine.ch (Gautier) (1999-10-29)
Re: handling exceptions guerby@acm.org (Laurent Guerby) (1999-10-29)
Re: handling exceptions mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il (Ehud Lamm) (1999-10-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Christian Stapfer" <chstapfer@bluewin.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Oct 1999 02:07:04 -0400

Maikel Pennings <m.w.m.pennings@twi.tudelft.nl> wrote in:
> I have to add exception handling to a compiler for a
> project, and I'm wondering how this is done in real compilers

I don't know about Ada, but Norman Ramsey and Simon Peyton Jones are
preparing a paper for publication that treats exception handling on a
level that might be just right for you. It's titled "A Single
Intermediate Language That Supports Multiple Implementations of
Exceptions", and gives example code that is supposed to implement
exceptions in the style of Modula-3, Eiffel, and ML. Their main
problem is to do it in a single intermediate language (an UNCOL, of
sorts) but, as a side effect, they have to discuss how it can be
done. They do it in a C-like language - I suppose that would not be
too bad for an Ada programmer, would it? You can get an abstract of
their paper from
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/pubs/c--exn-abstract.html, and
download the draft from that page. - Christian