Re: infinite state machines

mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (Alex Colvin)
27 Oct 1999 14:08:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
infinite state machines karthik@cdotd.ernet.in (1999-10-21)
Re: infinite state machines jfflorio@acm.org (J. Florio) (1999-10-21)
Re: infinite state machines qjackson@wave.home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1999-10-21)
Re: infinite state machines bourguet@my-deja.com (1999-10-27)
Re: infinite state machines chstapfer@bluewin.ch (Christian Stapfer) (1999-10-27)
Re: infinite state machines mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (1999-10-27)
Re: infinite state machines scorp@btinternet.com (1999-10-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (Alex Colvin)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Oct 1999 14:08:13 -0400

> If we have finite state machines, is it possible to have 'infinite'
> state machines. Does anybody know of any web site or book or paper
> which explains something about this? I tried searching in Altavista
> but got very little. One web site just mentioned that 'infinite state
> machines are conceivable but not practical'. Can somebody explain?

Lots Of Infinite-State Machines Are In Use.
Different Kinds Impose Different Structure On The State,
Allowing One To Reason About Identity And Reachability, Etc.

Petri Nets Have Arbitrarily Large Token Counts At Graph Vertices.
Stack Automata Have A Variable-Length Stack Of States.
Then There'S The Turing Machine, With Two Stacks.

I Don'T Know If *Continuously*-Infinite State Machines See Much Use.