Re: infinite state machines

"J. Florio" <>
21 Oct 1999 22:02:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
infinite state machines (1999-10-21)
Re: infinite state machines (J. Florio) (1999-10-21)
Re: infinite state machines (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1999-10-21)
Re: infinite state machines (1999-10-27)
Re: infinite state machines (Christian Stapfer) (1999-10-27)
Re: infinite state machines (1999-10-27)
Re: infinite state machines (1999-10-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "J. Florio" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Oct 1999 22:02:21 -0400

Just speculating: "Finite" meaning there are a finite number of states
that the machine can take. In compiler construction FSM's have
application in syntax (and some cases) semantic analysis of the input
statements (at least as I recall, it's one of the major applications).
Various data structures make it easy to automate generation of part of
the compiler through the application of FSM's. That gets a little
messy if you have an infinite number of states that you're trying to
represent in a machine that has a finite amount of storage. 8-)