Re: Generating Source Code.

"Christian Stapfer" <chstapfer@bluewin.ch>
21 Oct 1999 00:44:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Generating Source Code. smith@gandalf.uni-trier.de (Craig Smith) (1999-10-11)
Re: Generating Source Code. cmilner@virginia.edu (Christopher W. Milner) (1999-10-11)
Re: Generating Source Code. anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1999-10-13)
Re: Generating Source Code. thetick@jguru.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1999-10-13)
Re: Generating Source Code. ele@freesurf.ch (H. Ellenberger) (1999-10-14)
Re: Generating Source Code. vadik@siber.com (Vadim Maslov) (1999-10-16)
Re: Generating Source Code. chstapfer@bluewin.ch (Christian Stapfer) (1999-10-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Christian Stapfer" <chstapfer@bluewin.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Oct 1999 00:44:30 -0400

<dara_gallagher@my-deja.com> wrote in: 99-10-036@comp.compilers...
> I'd appreciate any pointers/references on the subject of generating
> human readable source from an AST. I've looked at some of the source
> code pretty printers which are floating around but all of them seem
> are relatively simple and are based on lexical analysis. I realize
> that "human readable" is a subjective term and that for any particular
> language people will have preferences regarding indentation, line
> splitting etc.

Have you seen Philip Wadler's recent paper "Prettier Printing?" (see:
http://www.bell-labs.com/~wadler/recent.html), and Vance Maverick's
dissertation "Presentation by Tree Transformation" (University of
California, Berkeley Report CSD-97-947, see:
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/NCSTRL)?

True, Maverick's dissertation concerns a more general problem: that of
laying out and editing tree-structured (parsed) documents. But your
problem is a special case and his paper seems to me to contain some
interesting ideas (especially as regards "abstracting out layout
preferences") as well as useful pointers to other papers.

Christian Stapfer