Syntax directed parsing

Don Walters <daw@antrim.com>
27 Aug 1999 01:52:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Syntax directed parsing daw@antrim.com (Don Walters) (1999-08-27)
Re: Syntax directed parsing aboukirev@iname.com (Alexei Boukirev) (1999-08-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Don Walters <daw@antrim.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers.tools.pccts,comp.compilers
Date: 27 Aug 1999 01:52:55 -0400

I am considering developing a syntax-directed editor for a language.
The behavior I'd like is to give the user feedback on syntax errors by
underlining the first error token, etc... Much like the Visual J++
editor if you have seen that (so it is non-intrusive but helpful).

I have developed a couple of yacc/lex parsers (long ago) and know C++
and Java, so I'm familiar with the concepts. And I have been reading
about PCCTS. But I haven't a clue how I could use either of these
tools to accomplish my goals. I'd at least need some sort of
incremental parser it seems.

Can someone point me in the right direction for this, or maybe an
example using ANTLR or something so I can get a clue?

Thanks,
Don
[My impression is that the useful ones do ad-hoc pattern matching as
much as parsing since most of the time you're editing your program
isn't perfectly syntactically valid so the tools have to recover and
parse as best they can. There was a generation of syntax editors in
the 1970s that forced you to write syntactically valid programs, that
were incredibly irritating to the point of unusability. -John]