Re: Symbol-Table and Parse-trees

Leif Leonhardy <delta-t@t-online.de>
15 Aug 1999 10:42:08 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Symbol-Table and Parse-trees blizzar@hem1.passagen.se (1999-08-12)
Re: Symbol-Table and Parse-trees rkrayhawk@aol.com (1999-08-13)
Re: Symbol-Table and Parse-trees delta-t@t-online.de (Leif Leonhardy) (1999-08-15)
Re: Symbol-Table and Parse-trees cgbatema@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca (1999-08-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Leif Leonhardy <delta-t@t-online.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Aug 1999 10:42:08 -0400

Peter Palotas schrieb:

> I'm wondering what the best way is to handle declarations in a C
> compiler? During the initial parse (sytatic analysis), should one put
> the declarations in the symbol-table immediately, and not in the parse
> tree, or should one wait and put them in the sym-tbl only during
> semantic analysis?

Unless using 2-level grammars or something like that, you HAVE TO put
declarations into a symbol table immediately to be used by the scanner
(lexical analyzer) because there's no CFG for C syntax, i.e. you can't
parse C without letting the scanner know if an instance of
[a-zA-Z_][a-zA-Z0-9_]* is a typename or an identifier in the current
scope.

Leif