some direction for a beginner...

"nibble" <>
12 Aug 1999 03:01:23 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
some direction for a beginner... (nibble) (1999-08-12)
Re: some direction for a beginner... (Etienne Gagnon) (1999-08-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "nibble" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Aug 1999 03:01:23 -0400

Hi folks,

I want to write a small scripting language as a component for a larger
java application I am building. I want to be able to provide the
ability for users to overload / customize some of the system
functionality on a user by user basis. My problem is that I have
never written an interpreter/compiler before and are not sure on how
to go about it. I probably need some introductory stuff on
parsing/scanning algorithms etc. Any other advise would dearly be

Thanks very much in advance
[My standard advice is that the wheel has already been invented, go look
at Python, TCL, and REXX. I'd be surprised if there weren't Java
equivalents. -John]