Re: Newbie Question......

adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (A Johnstone)
19 Jul 1999 01:19:09 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Newbie Question...... chewie@gibsona.demon.co.uk (Wookie Monster) (1999-07-14)
Re: Newbie Question...... adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1999-07-19)
Re: Newbie Question...... dwightvdb@compaq.net (Dwight Vandenberghe) (1999-07-19)
Re: Newbie Question...... sander@haldjas.folklore.ee (Sander Vesik) (1999-10-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (A Johnstone)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Jul 1999 01:19:09 -0400

Have a look at our site

          http://www.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk/research/languages/rdp.shtml

Our parser generator (RDP) comes with a big case study manual that
guides you gently through to building a byte-code based interpreter
and a compiler for a simple language that goes with it. My students
routinely take this stuff and add the kind of functionality that you
are requesting as an exercise.

                                                        Adrian

Wookie Monster (chewie@gibsona.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: I need to write a simple interpreter for my current project. Nothing
: too tricky, no custom types, just about 4 record types, floats,
: integers and so on, not even any function calls to outside functions,
: since the complete code consists of one function which will perform
: multiplication, additions. There won't even be any flow control (for,
: next, while loops etc..)

: It runs in the main application and is really more of a script to
: control parts of the main application. I am just looking for some help
: with regards of where to start. I know the basics of compilers with
: stripping the code down to tokens, and then work form that. My main
: problems are :

: This is mainly a maths based thing....I need to consider problems like
: brackets in code, and handling the maths issues..people have mentioned
: stacked based interpreters.

: Type checking, and general storage for actual interpretation.
--
Dr Adrian Johnstone, Senior Lecturer in Computing, Computer Science Dep,
Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.