Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source.

pmai@acm.org (Pierre R. Mai)
14 Jul 1999 02:07:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. hunk@csd.uwm.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (1999-07-06)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. jsture@nortelnetworks.com (John Sture) (1999-07-10)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. tej@melbpc.org.au (Tim Josling) (1999-07-10)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1999-07-11)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. djb@koobera.math.uic.edu (1999-07-12)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. johnmce@world.std.com (1999-07-12)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. t.hutt@worldnet.att.net (Taylor Hutt) (1999-07-12)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. pmai@acm.org (1999-07-14)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. darcy@moa.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1999-07-14)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1999-07-14)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1999-07-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: pmai@acm.org (Pierre R. Mai)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jul 1999 02:07:38 -0400

> [There's no reason that assemblers have to have awful syntax. About
> 30 years ago I used Niklaus Wirth's PL360, which was basically a S/360
> assembler with Algol syntax and a a little syntactic sugar like while
> loops that turned into the obvious branches. It really was an
> assembler, e.g., you had to write out your expressions with explicit
> assignments of values to registers, but it was nice. Wirth used it to
> write Algol W, a small fast Algol subset, which was a predecessor to
> Pascal. As is so often the case, Algol W was a significant
> improvement over many of its successors. -John]

See also COMFY (Baker97) and the 'compilers' COMFY-65 (Baker97a) and
COMFY-Z80, which provided a nice 'medium-level' language for
cross-compiling to 6502 and Z80s from PDP-10 Maclisp in 1976.

If one would take aboard the ideas of COMFY, and implemented them in a
current Common Lisp or Scheme (with macros), I think this would
provide a very nice assembler environment.

Regs, Pierre.

(Baker97) Baker, Henry G.: "COMFY -- A Comfortable Set of Control
Primitives for Machine Language Programming" ACM Sigplan Not. 32, 6
(June 1997), 23-27.

(Baker97a) Baker, Henry G.: "The COMFY 6502 Compiler" ACM Sigplan
Not. 32, 11 (November 1997), 25-30.

--
Pierre Mai <pmai@acm.org> PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver