Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source.

"John Sture" <jsture@nortelnetworks.com>
10 Jul 1999 01:18:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. hunk@csd.uwm.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (1999-07-06)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. jsture@nortelnetworks.com (John Sture) (1999-07-10)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. tej@melbpc.org.au (Tim Josling) (1999-07-10)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1999-07-11)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. djb@koobera.math.uic.edu (1999-07-12)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. johnmce@world.std.com (1999-07-12)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. t.hutt@worldnet.att.net (Taylor Hutt) (1999-07-12)
Re: Empirical data: assembly source vs. HLL source. pmai@acm.org (1999-07-14)

From: "John Sture" <jsture@nortelnetworks.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Jul 1999 01:18:25 -0400

Mark William Hopkins wrote:

> (A) OVERVIEW
>
> I've provided some empirical data below based on some recent projects
> which I hope will decisively settle the issue of Assembly vs. C,
> putting it in proper perspective. ...

You should look at large systems instead of embedded micro
controllers. There is no economical way of implementing them in
assembly language and any one suggesting that would be frowned upon
:).

I have experience with a "large" system that was around 50% assembler,
the rest in Fortran. From that nightmare, I prefer C++ and any (repeat
any) higher level language than assembler for large systems. For small
systems, assembly language is always a viable alternative to a higher
level language.

MHO
John Sture
[I certainly agree that the issues in building large systems and small
systems are quite different, and the tools and languages you need are
likely to be different. But it's interesting to see that at least in
small systems, it's true that Fortran programmers will write Fortran
programs in any language. -John]